Whenever you remove any page from your website, whenever a user enters the Web page of your website such that doesn’t exist at all, then that website header displays the 404 error. So what really is It.? 404 is the code which gets displayed whenever the Web doesn’t have the page due to removal or errors. People also call it broken links and it really isn’t a big problem at all.
Methods to detect 404 error pages:
- Here are the screenshot which shows you how you can figure out your number of broken links as well as other server errors and robot.txt file errors.
Simple ways to fix 404 errors
- Login to blogger account and from dashboard go to settings and then search preferences.
- Now look at These two options Custom Page Not Found and Custom Redirects options.Give you the ability to handle broken links easily.
1. In Custom Page Not Found:
2. Custom Redirects options
- Thus one seems to be easy and use fill as you would not be going to lose the reader. But there is also an disadvantage of using this custom redirect.
- If you have hundreds such pages then it could cause you little trouble.
- And other is that Google may think it as a spam activity as you are redirecting hundreds of pages to a same page.
How to know which and how many links are returning 404?
- Open your webmaster tool account and click on errors as shown in screenshot.
- Now click on 404 error and a list of all the pages and link would be displayed which are returning 404 code error.
- So click on download and it saves these to your excel file.
To completely remove 404 broken links from search results:
- Removing broken links completely from search results is not a difficult task at all, we can easily remove them by using Google webmaster tool removal request.
We completely remove 404 broken links from search results by using webmaster tool.
- For this sign in to webmaster tool and click on the site or blog you want to optimize.
- Now go to Google index at left most side and then clickremove URL.
- After that a new page will be open which would ask you to create new URL removal request.
- Click on new removal request and enter your broken link URL which you had previously stored in your excel file.
- Now copy links from excel file which you already downloaded previously, one by one and paste it in new removal request and click submit. After which it would ask you to completely remove from index or catch and click on OK as shown in screen shot.