Google is taking strict actions against duplicate content, whether it is generated from different links and the same blog. Due to content scrappers you may face duplicate content issue and for that you can take necessary step to avoid duplicate content issue by following steps discussed previously. But duplicate content can be evolved inside your blog as well.
How Archive and Labels Causes duplicate content issue?
Archive and category doesn’t contain their own content, they take content from individual post which is indexed by Google, thereby cause duplicate issue as both page having different URL contain same content. Therefore in this post I am going to show you how you can tell Google bot not to index labels and archive of your blogger blog.
You can easily prevent duplicate content by informing Google to not index your archive by adding simple code to your blogger template.
Here’s how you can noindex Archive:
- Login to your Blogger account.
- Go to Dashboard > Design > Edit HTML.
- Find the <head> tag and add the following code below it:
<b:if cond=’data:blog.pageType == "archive"’>
<meta content=’noindex,noarchive’ name=’robots’/>
- Now go to webmaster tool>search appearance and check if archive has caused the duplicate content issue or not?
- It will shows you message there.If it shows nothing then fine otherwise you have to submit url removal request to remove archive pages from search results.
Follow below instructions to hide labels from search engines.
- Login to Blogger
- Click your desired blog and Click on Settings
- Click on Search Preference section
- Enable Custom Robots.txt
- And copy paste below code at Custom Robots.txt section.
If you have done above instructions then you can verify about it easily.
- Login to https://www.google.com/webmasters/
- Click on “Crawl” section of your desired blog & find Fetch as Google.
- Now you can “Fetch” any of your “Labels” and it will Denied if you did above instructions correct.
Please make sure to correctly paste the code in robot.txt otherwise it may cause serious problem while indexing your blog. Continuously check Google webmaster tool for such type of errors. In case of any difficulty please feel free to ask your query in the comments below.