Seriously, your SEO efforts start from choosing the right hosting for your business. Can hosting affect search ranking? In short, yes. However understanding the fact behind this saying will help you to choose right hosting that your business needs.
1. Location Matters :
It’s already confirmed by many SEO experts that latency is an important factor in SEO. For example, if you are running your business in India but hosted your files in US server, your website is likely to rank better for google.com than google.co.in.
So, Hosting files near your business area increase the possibility of rankings in that particular area.
2. Bad Neighbor :
Most of the bloggers host their blog in Shared hosting from any Hosting providers because it is cheap compared to other hosting plans. But the problem is, if you share the hosting space with many spammy sites then it will bring negative effect in your website rankings.
This was confirmed by Matt Cutts (Head of Google webspam team) in a video back in late 2012. So don’t host your blog in crappy cheap hosting rather go for VPS, or cloud based hosting, or any SSD Hosting from reliable hosting providers
3. Free tools :
Many hosting company provides free or paid inbuilt tools to leverage the website rankings, but it is worth mentioning most of the tools hosting company offers are very basic and can be done using installing GWT in your blog.
If you purchase their service for your business then chances are more to get de-indexed or de-valued by search engines.
The reason behind is, they use the same ip address to submit blogs in search engine and in other directory listing sites. If many spammy sites are submitted from the same ip address then Google might de-value other legitimate sites submitted from that address.
4. Hardware & Network Speed :Google takes site speed a major ranking factor in their algorithm, so how fast you deliver your website to users that much you can see some boost in your rankings. Site speed not only depends on website files size but also depends on Hardware and network speed of your hosting.
When looking for host make sure it is fast enough and powered with all latest configurations. I always prefer SSD hosting like DigitalOcean than traditional Hosting providers.
5. Hosting Reputaion:Although, it will not directly affect your website SEO but it is advisable to read reviews online about the hosting providers before making any purchase from them.
There are many Hosting reviews sites over web, take your time to read some reviews marked by users. If possible ask some help from leading bloggers via Twitter or Facebook, they might surely help you in selecting best Hosting provider for your business.
6. HTTPS Support:Last month, Google confirmed that sites with HTTPS may have slight boost in rankings compared to non-https sites. Although, the number is very mere significant now, it will evolve soon in future.
Try and look for companies that provide SSL support, however some host will even provide you free private SSL certificate.
7. 99.9% UP time:Though there is a fact that no can provide your 100% uptime, you can look for companies that guarantee at least 99% uptime. Having a good amount of traffic with severe downtime will seriously affect your business as well as rankings.
Before choosing Hosting for your blog be sure to read reviews and ratings of the hosting providers and choose right plan with high bandwidth to avoid ranking drop.
8. Security:Malwares can typically hammer your SEO effort. Viruses on your Hosting can infect other sites in shared hosting and attack the system of anyone who visits your website.
If the problem is not solved then malware diagnoses sites like mywot might flag your website down and it’s going to be a big problem for you to retrieve the business back from those bad reputations.
You may also like:
This is a guest post by Ron Davis, who works for the site http://gravityformsdiscount.org/